The Windows 10 update has brought in many breath-taking features, improved functionality and a better look to the new Windows compared to the older one. But, like all new things, it comes with certain downsides, like errors and bugs. A standard error encountered by Windows 10 users has been Windows 10 Headphones Not Working.
This error often causes panic to the users freezing the sound, video or sometimes the entire window, as the first assumption is your headphones have been damaged. But, it is surprising how common this error is, and it has most of the times nothing to do with the headphone.
With a little effort, you can quickly go to the cause of headphones not working windows 10 error to solve it and continue enjoying your headphones on your computers. Hence we have put together this article, to help you navigate your way through the ‘Headphones not working’ and fix it.
See Also: 10 Best Anti-Spyware Tools for Windows
Also, the headphones should be verified to be in working condition by testing in another device. Also, it is best to check that you have all the appropriate drivers for your particular sound card. After performing these checks, if the problem persists, you will have to try the following solutions to fix the error.
- 1 Solve Windows 10 Headphones Not Working
- 1.1 Solution 1: Update Sound/Audio Drivers
- 1.2 Solution 2: Change default playback device option
- 1.3 Solution 3: Disable the detection of Front panel Jack
- 2 FAQ
- 3 Conclusion
Solve Windows 10 Headphones Not Working
Solution 1: Update Sound/Audio Drivers
Majority of the Headphones not working error occurs because of incompatible or corrupt sound drivers. Thus, by updating the driver should fix your problem. To update the sound drivers automatically follow these steps:
- Go to my the ‘My Computer’ icon, right click on it and select ‘Properties.’
- You will see many options on the left pane of the ‘Properties’ window. Choose the ‘Device Manager,’ which will open a new window with all the devices linked with your computer.
- Look through the list of devices and under Sound, Video, Controllers option you will find a drop-down menu containing ‘High definition Audio sound’ option. Right click on this option and select ‘Properties.’
- Among the tabs visible on the top pane of the ‘Properties’ windows, go to the ‘Driver’ tab and select ‘Update Driver.’ In the resultant window choose the option that will allow the computer to download the driver updates automatically.
- Once the drivers are installed you may no longer face Windows 10 Headphones Not Working.
Solution 2: Change default playback device option
Changing the default sound format after the Windows 10 update has been seen to solve the Windows 10 Headphones Not Working error many times.
The following steps is how you will set you headphone as the default playback device in Windows 10:
- Go to Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Click on the ‘Hardware and Sound’ option and select the ‘Sound’ option that you will see after that.
- In the ‘Playback’ tab options you will have to double-click on your default playback device.
- Now in the ‘Advanced’ tab, change the default device from the drop-down menu and select your headphones.
Solution 3: Disable the detection of Front panel Jack
For Realtek HD Audio, then you can try to change the settings in this software to disable the front panel jack detection option. Follow these steps to do it:
- Open Realtek HD Audio Manager software.
- Select the ‘Speaker’ tab to reveal more options.
- Select the ‘Speaker Configuration’ tab and then choose the ‘Connector Settings’ option
- Check the box called ‘Disable front panel jack detection.’
After restarting your computer with these disabled settings saved, the ‘Headphones not working’ error should not appear, and your headphones and other audio devices should work smoothly on Windows 10.
If you are using an IDT audio device on your computer instead of Realtek, this may be the cause of the problem, and you will have t immediately uninstall the program.
Use the following steps to uninstall:
- In the Device Manager window choose ‘Control panel.’
- Select the ‘Programs and features.’
- Browse the list to locate IDT Audio Driver.
- Select the program and uninstall it.
Restart your computer, after uninstall is complete and check to confirm whether ‘Headphone not working’ issue persists.
Why is my PC not detecting my headphones?
The failure of your computer to recognize your headphones is a pretty typical problem on Windows 10 PCs. A defective or outdated driver, malfunctioning USB ports, a connection error, or a problem with the headphones themselves might all be to blame.
Why don't my headphones work when I plug them into my laptop?
The problem might be with your headphones or the audio connection on your laptop. Connect them to another device to see if your headphones are working correctly. If they still don't work, the headphones may be defective, and replacing or fixing them will fix the problem.
Do I have Realtek audio?
Manually detect the Realtek HDA driver. To access Device Manager, right-click on the Start Menu and select Device Manager, or search for devmgmt. Open 'Realtek High Definition Audio' under 'Sound, video, and game controllers.' Click 'Details' on the Driver tab.
In conclusion, Employing these solutions, you will fix the Windows 10 Headphones Not Working error and enjoy using your headphones. Please do contact us, if you have found any other solution or have any comments.
Hey everyone! We are a group of Computer Engineers who have dedicated their lives to tech. It’s our dream to make sure that all the updates in the tech world reach everyone is simple words. Hope you have a good time on the blog! 🙂