If you like the word “Virus,” you are either a doctor or a hacker. Viruses are a type of Malware programs that replicates itself indefinitely and hinders the base code of your computer operating system. This may have adverse effects on your PC including slowing down processor speed. Hence you should know ways to Remove Virus from Mac.
In layman terms, it is a malicious program that hinders the functioning of your computer and may even render it useless. Apart from Viruses, there are other types of Malware too which may infect your device like Ransomware, Spyware, Adware, etc.
No one appreciates their device being infected, especially if it is a Mac. Macintosh Devices (or Mac) is a series of personal computers developed by Apple Inc. which runs on Mac OS.
Before too long there were hardly any Malware programs for Mac OS. The percentage share of Mac in the computer market was way too low and it didn’t make any sense to write Malware for such a low target population.
But as the popularity of Mac devices has started to increase, hackers have begun to take the distribution more seriously and has started to target the Mac OS too.
How will it feel if you bought a new Mac and after a month found it infected with Viruses? You won’t have to feel that way after reading this article.
- 1 10 Ways to Remove Virus from Mac
- 1.1 Remove unwanted or unknown applications and software
- 1.2 Clean or Remove unwanted or unknown extensions from Safari browser
- 1.3 Update all the components of your Mac
- 1.4 Turn and keep the Auto-Update Mode ON
- 1.5 Avoid installing software packages from Unknown Resources
- 1.6 Install a trusted Anti-Virus program
- 1.7 Avoid malicious websites
- 1.8 Beware of Scam E-mails – Delete them as soon as possible
- 1.9 Always scan any external storage device connected to your Mac
- 1.10 Backup and Reset your Mac
- 2 Final Words
10 Ways to Remove Virus from Mac
Read it until the end, to know 10 of the best tips to avoid and remove Virus from Mac.
Remove unwanted or unknown applications and software
Most of the Viruses and Malware are installed automatically without the knowledge of the user. The first and foremost step to remove Virus from Mac is to remove these malicious programs.
Some of the known malware names are MacCaptain, MacDefender, MacCleaner, MacPriceCut, SaveOnMac, Mac Global Deals, PalMall, MacShop, MacSmart, News Ticker Remover, FlashFree, etc.
- Go to the utility folder in the Applications folder and launch Activity Monitor.
- Choose All Processes from the pop-up menu in the upper right corner of the window.
- Under the Process Name column, look for the name of the app and click to select it.
- Click the Quit Process button in the upper left corner of the window and select Quit.
- Quit Activity Monitor application.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Locate the app.
- Drag to Trash, and empty Trash.
Clean or Remove unwanted or unknown extensions from Safari browser
The next step to remove Virus from Mac is to disable the most harmful and irritating byproducts and spreaders of Malware.
- From the Safari menu, select “Preferences.”
- In the Safari Preferences window, click the “Extensions” tab. Find any unknown plugin, then click the “Uninstall” button.
- Now Choose “Preferences,“ navigate to the “General” tab and change the “Default Search Engine” to any trusted Search Engine of your choice like Google, Yahoo, etc. Then, in the “General” tab, find the “Home Page” and change it to any trusted website you want as your homepage.
Update all the components of your Mac
Updating the system ensure the latest security measures are installed and help to remove Virus from Mac. Ensure your Mac is up to date. Open the App Store app and click Update All.
Turn and keep the Auto-Update Mode ON
- Open “System Preferences” and click App Store.
- Now select the option “Automatically Check for Updates.” Install both “Mac OS Updates” and Install “System Data Files.”
- Make sure “Security Updates” are also selected.
Avoid installing software packages from Unknown Resources
The most crucial step to remove Virus from Mac is to avoid the installation from unknown sources. Make sure your Mac only allows apps from trusted developers:
- Click on System Preferences>>Security and Privacy and General.
- Check that the option under Allow Apps Download From is set to either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and Identified Developers.
- If it is set to Anywhere, then click on the Lock icon, enter your password, and change it to either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and Identified Developers.
- Make sure to install apps from trusted or known developers only.
See Also: Best RAM Cleaner For PC
Install a trusted Anti-Virus program
We recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Virus for your Mac OS. Make sure to install only trusted Anti-Virus software since most of the Mac Malware disguise themselves as anti-virus or device cleaners.
To remove Virus from Mac with Malwarebytes:
- Open Malwarebytes and click on “Scan.”
- A list will open which shows all the malware and adware currently on your Mac.
- Click on “Remove All”
Avoid malicious websites
Avoid opening malicious websites while surfing internet since they can install Viruses and other Malware in the background without your knowledge.
Some common characteristics of such websites are:
- Excess Advertisements
- Hyperlinks in the form of content
- Clickable headlines
Beware of Scam E-mails – Delete them as soon as possible
- Never open e-mail messages from unknown sources. Spam e-mails are the most comfortable way for Malware to penetrate the system.
Always scan any external storage device connected to your Mac
- Right-click on the icon of your External Media.
- Click on “Scan”.
Backup and Reset your Mac
- As a last resort, if the Virus is very deeply embedded in the system, backup all your files to an external storage device or cloud storage. (recommended),
- Then reset your Mac from the “General Settings.”
See also: Network analyser apps.
There we go! All of the most effective methods to avoid and remove Virus from Mac. We hope it helped!
Hey everyone! We are a group of Computer Engineers who have dedicated their lives to tech. It’s our dream to make sure that all the updates in the tech world reach everyone is simple words. Hope you have a good time on the blog! 🙂