Here is a step-by-step guide about Jailbreaking Apple TV 3rd Generation using BlackbOx. Every three years, Apple TV receives a new model. On the other hand, Apple has long discontinued support for older TVs that do not
run on tvOS. You could only install apps on the TV after the 4th Generation. Is this to say that the prior versions are now obsolete? Certainly not. The Apple TV 3 Jailbreak Guide is here to the rescue.
- 1 Apple TV 3rd Generation
- 2 Jailbreaking Apple TV Using BlackbOx And Snow3rd
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Apple TV 3rd Generation
Jailbreaking the Apple TV 3rd Gen using BlackbOx is a fairly simple procedure and can be easily done.
If you have access to a Mac, it will be completed through the macOS app. Once your device is jailbroken, you can run Kodi on your TV. Kodi is a well-known open-source media player software that can give you an add-on for every streaming service you can think of without any hassle.
See Also: How To Use Kodi On Pc
The preceding generations were mostly forgotten when the 4th Generation arrived in 2015. So, if you own an Apple TV from the 3rd Generation or earlier and want to make it compatible with current platforms, stick around!
Jailbreaking Apple TV Using BlackbOx And Snow3rd
You may modify your Apple TV 3rd Gen by jailbreaking it and installing custom themes from third-party applications. The BlackbOx software, according to BlackbOx on GitHub, is compatible with the following Apple TV models: Apple TV 3,2 (A1469), Apple TV 3,1 (A1427), and Apple TV 2,1. (A1378).
Models A1469 and A1427 have a tethered Jailbreak system. While in A13878, it is unattached. When using a tethered jailbreak, you must repeat the entire process every time the device restarts. However, with an untethered jailbreak, it is completed once and for all.
Jailbreaking Apple TV 3rd Gen Using BlackbOx
This is a step-by-step guide on installing the BlackbOx software on your television and then jailbreaking your Apple TV 3rd Generation:
1. Connect the power cable and Apple TV with your PC through micro-USB.
2. Download and run the BlackbOx software. Right-click Blackb0x.app and select ‘Open’ from the menu (Important).
3. Select ‘Jailbreak’ from the drop-down menu.
4. Enter DFU mode according to the instructions to obtain the update.
5. Once the jailbreak is complete, connect to your television and wait 5-10 minutes for Kodi to appear.
You must also ensure that your Mac is connected to the internet throughout this procedure, i.e., until Kodi displays on your screen.
In a few minutes, your jailbroken TV will be at your disposal, ready to provide you with endless entertainment.
If you own an Apple TV 3,1 (model A1427), you will need to take an extra step. It is most likely because the A5 processor used in that model of Apple TV is the same as the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. The necessary code is included in Blackb0x – the ‘Rev A’ Apple TV featured a modified single-core A5 – which doesn’t appear to require this additional jailbreaking step.
Jailbreaking Apple TV 3rd Gen Using Snow3rd
The following steps are a guide for Jailbreaking Apple TV 3rd Generation using Snow3rd:
1. Make sure your Apple TV 3 is running iOS 5.0.2 or an earlier version of iOS. Snow3rd is unable to jailbreak Apple TVs that are running iOS 5.0.2 or later.
2. Make sure you have a computer that runs Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP. Snow3rd is only compatible with Windows XP and earlier versions of Windows; it does not work with Windows 8 or Mac OS X.
3. Get Snow3rd on your computer.
4. Choose to store the.zip file on your computer’s desktop.
5. On your windows computer, close and stop all open applications and processes.
6. Use a micro-USB cable to connect the Apple TV 3 to your computer.
7. Unplug the Apple TV from its power supply.
8. Open the Snow3rd.zip file on your Windows desktop and double-click it.
9. Select ‘Jailbreak’ from the drop-down menu.
10. When the ‘Jailbreak Successful’ message appears on screen, close the Snow3rd dialogue box.
11. Remove the tiny USB cable from the Apple TV 3 and restart the device.
12. After the restart, reconnect the Apple TV 3 to your computer and open iTunes on your PC.
13. Check to see if iTunes detects your Apple TV 3.
14. Plug in the Apple TV 3’s power adapter and HDMI cable.
As a result of this Jailbreak tool, Apple TV 3 is now ready to install apps from sources other than the App Store.
What does Apple TV Jailbreak give you?
You will have full access to the file system as well as the ability to install third-party applications. You can also use the jailbreaking community to install programmes like Kodi and some third-party Apple TV extensions.
Can you jailbreak 3rd Generation Apple TV?
As we discussed in the steps mentioned above, you can easily jailbreak Apple TV 3rd gen using a few tools.
Can I Add Apps to Apple Tv 3rd Generation?
Unlike Apple TV 4, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV, the Apple TV 3 will only have apps introduced by Apple. It is not feasible to manually add new programmes.
Is Apple TV 3rd Gen still good?
The 3rd Generation Apple TV is still functional despite its age. For those who merely want to view movies, TV shows, and listen to music, the Apple TV 3 is a nice choice.
Which Apple TVs are still supported?
Apple continues to offer all of the capabilities accessible on the 2021 Apple TV 4K, including the same functionality as the original Apple TV 4K, in addition to the original Apple TV 4K.
Anyone who is bored with their Apple TV 3 can easily customize it and access its unlimited entertainment potential. BlackbOx is a ground-breaking software that allows you to bypass Apple’s restrictions on your television and is incredibly simple to use and run. I hope my guide on jailbreaking the Apple TV 3rd Gen using BlackbOx was insightful and will help you to upgrade your device.
Don’t forget to be patient during the process of jailbreaking your Apple TV 3. Grab a coffee maybe, you’re about to welcome Kodi on your screen!
Carly Earl is Guardian Australia picture editor. She has worked as a photographer and picture editor in Sydney for 8 years, previously for The Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph.