Discord an invite-only place where people come in the room to talk where a community of all sizes run with multiple moderation tools and custom member access of special powers setting channels. It was originally used by gamers as a place to build community and talk with all its positives discord is prone to errors that are very annoying while performing tasks. Some of the major causing errors for Discord Won’t Open are –
- Errors of discord are mostly caused by system-related errors.
- Excess app data, proxies.
- Not up to date system, wrong date and time settings.
- Not downloading discord and using the web version of it.
4 Methods To Fix Discord Won’t Open Error
Let’s look at the ways to fix Discord Won’t Open Error
Closing Discord Itself
There are majorly two ways to close/kill the discord application if discord isn’t opening
- Opening task manager (ctrl + shift + Esc) – selecting discord – end task
- By pressing windows key + R – searching cmd – type “taskkill / F / IM discord.exe’’.
After these two processes, relaunch Discord.
Now everything should supposedly work fine. Additionally, you should use the first method, which is easier and better if at all, it fails to use the second one to fix Discord Won’t Open Error.
Clearing Of Problematic Data
These data are considered app data and local app data; these data are stored in one single file where discord is installed. You can directly search for that on installed application settings, or you can follow these run settings if discord wont launch
- Closing discord from the above ways of killing/ closing the app
- Pressing windows key + R – type “%appdata%” – press enter.
- The new open window that appears find discord folder delete it.
- Relaunch the app.
Now for local app data, you may repeat the process to clear it by typing “%localappdata%” instead of %appdata% mentioned above at the second step.
Also See: 6 Ways to Fix iPhone won’t turn on error
Correction Of Proxy Settings/ Server for LAN
In many cases, Discord Won’t Open in windows due to using VPN servers, which disrupts the proxy settings, so if you are using a proxy or a VPN network for tampering with some settings on the internet, do not worry. You could easily fix this by very simple steps mentioned below if discord not opening
- Open windows search box and search for control panel / right-clicking on Desktop selecting control panel
- Open the “network and internet” – select “Internet options”
- An Internet properties window will pop open click on the connections tab.
- Under the local area network(LAN) settings section, click on LAN settings on the bottom right side
- Under the proxy server section, uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN.
- Click OK, and then apply
- Relaunch discord
Now the problem related to proxy/ VPN and app data, and local app data will be resolved.
Also See: 7 Free Facebook Proxy Sites
Fixing Errors Not Resolved From The Above Solutions
Even after all the steps above the problem still avails then follow these steps if still discord not working
- Getting your system up to date as discord software updates itself and system needs to be updated accordingly for the app to work properly / work at all
- While in some cases the system is already up to date but discord is not, by just updating discord problem have been seen to be solved in many cases
- Open the discord on its web version; some of the common complaints regarding this were that the web version resets the discord session on your Windows 10 application; for resolving this issue, the following things you have to do
- Launch discord on your PC’S app
- If it does not open the go to the web version of the discord
- Logout and then log in on the app/web version with your credentials
- And after all of that, the windows ten discord should work as it supposed to in the first place
- Setting the clock of your system right; however, this might seem very small, it matters a lot. You can simply correct this by going extreme left of your taskbar in a windows pc, where you would find the date and time –
- right-click on the date and time in the lower right of your screen
- adjust date/time
- set time automatically.
- As a last resolve to solve this issue, i.e. uninstall and then reinstall discord
- You can uninstall it by opening files – selecting installed files -uninstall discord.
These were the four ways how to fix Discord Won’t Open error hope this finds you the best in help resolving the issues relating to discord errors in a windows pc. Other ways could be resetting DNS, disabling proxies, logging in with different methods, using SFC to repair corrupted files.