File compression has been the stuff of many people’s dreams for years. The ability to store heavy and bulky files in compressed formats that take up less than a quarter of their space is undeniably awesome. But doing so hasn’t exactly been a piece of cake, both, for the developers as well as the common users like you and me. Thus, you must know Ways to Highly Compress Files easily.
If you were wondering how to find Ways to Highly Compress your videos, images or audio files to an insane extent by reducing gigabytes of data literally into a couple of megabytes, you have stumbled upon the right article. Here, we discuss Ways to Highly Compress Files, with a little help from our third party software tools.
Why should you compress data?
Well, data compression is undeniably cool. But you have all the rights in the world to show a massive 8 TB HDD in your hand and question the need for data compression in the first place. There are two main reasons for it.
First, compressed data is easy for the CPU to handle. Irrespective of the computing prowess that your system potentially has, raw data is always a bit gross for the processor to throw its threads on. You should be one of the decent chaps and show some mercy on your silicon. Compressed data can be accessed faster too. Hence at some level it becomes a need to know about Ways to Highly Compress Files.
Secondly, not everyone is as filthy rich as you are, Mr. 8 TB HDD! Most of us are rocking hard drives of about a terabyte worth of capacity and so, space is pretty precious to us. That’s why most people go for compressed files in the first place.
Tips to Get the Maximum Amount of Compression
- Make sure that the file you are about to compress is not already in a compressed format, such as JPEG.
- If the file is already in a .rar or a .zip form, it will not be compressed to anything more than half of that.
- Whichever tool you use, make sure to set the compression ratio value as high as possible.
4 Methods to Highly Compress Files
Okay! Now that we have cleared that out let’s get cracking. Here are 3 ways by which you can highly compress files whose massive size is eating your storage away.
7Zip is one of the most popular zip file handler available right now. You can highly compress files right down to a fraction of their original size using the 7Zip archiver. Here is how you can do that
- First of all, if you don’t have 7Zip yet, install it from these download links:
- Once downloaded, open it and install it like you would install any other software on your Windows PC.
- Now, go to the folder where you have that huge file stored. Right-click on it and select 7Zip and then select the option Add to Achieve.
You will see a window opens up, and one of the tabs in it says Compression level. Click on it and select Ultra from the drop-down menu.
- Then click on the OK button to start the compression process.
- You will see some cool codes running with a green progress bar across the window. The time needed to complete the green bar depends on the file size that you have chosen to compress.
- Once done, you will be shown a completed message, after which you can check the zip file size. I assure you it will be a shocker!
- Free to use and easy to install.
- Supports large size files.
- Minimalistic user interface.
7Zip does an amazing job with highly compressing files. You should give 7Zip a try and check how much space you end up saving.
FreeArc is a tool that exceeds the capabilities if the likes of WinRAR and 7Zip in terms of the aggressiveness of the final compression. This will definitely give you the solution to “how to compress a file on Windows”. Users have reportedly shrunken files as big as 130 GB into as small as just 70 KB, which is insane! In case you want to jump into this crazy compression wagon, which I’m assuming you do, here are the steps that you would want to follow:
- Download the FreeArc software tool for your Windows PC.
- Install it by clicking on the exe file, and proceed with the wizard just like any other regular software installation.
- As usual, right-click on the file that you need to compress and hover your mouse pointer over FreeArc option. Then select add to archive option.
- A pop-up window shows up with some customizable settings. In the compression menu, as i mentioned above, choose the highest possible option in the drop-down menu of the same. Click OK to proceed with the compression.
- Provides powerful and efficient compression.
- Contains impressive set of useful features.
- No support of hyper-threading.
Once you choose the Ways to Highly Compress Files, depending on your file size and the compression ratio chosen, it would take anywhere from a couple of minutes to over half an hour. Your system specifications might also play a considerable part here.
WinRAR needs little to no introduction in this field, right? It is the choice of a majority of people, and I am one of them. WinRAR is also a pretty powerful tool that can reduce files from several gigabytes right down to under 10 megabytes. It’s almost miraculous how well all these software work. But now, let’s see how you can get WinRAR to do the job.
- Get yourself the amazing WinRAR software.
- Install it on your system by following the simple steps which are entirely made of you clicking the next button like 40 times until it’s done.
- I think you know that you need to install wrar52b3 (32 bit).exe one on the 32-bit machines and the wrar52b3 (64 bit).exe file on the 64-bit machines. Assuming you’ve figured that out already, let us continue.
- Now you need to do some minor changes to the app settings. Open up WinRAR and head over to compression. Then select the create default option, followed by advanced. Click on the compression again, and then set the value in prediction order as 63, and value of memory to use to be 128 MB. You also need to change the dictionary size to 64.
- The compression algorithm is efficient and popular.
- Features self-extracting archive creation.
- Available for all possible platforms.
- Allows to zip files only to RAR and ZIP formats.
Also see: 4 Best PC Optimizer Software for Windows
Ultrazip not only lets you to compress and decompress files, but it also allows for secure file transmission through web and emails. It allows you to encrypt files with password protection features.
The zipping, unzipping and encryption operations just take a few clicks, and it works as it promises. Ultrazip occupies very less space on your device.
- It supports wide range of file formats.
- It is compatible with all versions of windows.
- Also works with smartphones.
- You will be frequently notified about inapp purchases.
All the above tinkering will allow you to have the maximum compression that you can squeeze out from this software. You should now be able to compress a 1 GB file of compressible format downwards to a few puny Megabytes. Enjoy Ways to Highly Compress Files, a newfound power and highly compress files with a few clicks.
Hey everyone! We are a group of Computer Engineers who have dedicated their lives to tech. It’s our dream to make sure that all the updates in the tech world reach everyone is simple words. Hope you have a good time on the blog! 🙂