Videos are an essential part of the digital age. YouTube and other streaming services, movies, music videos, etc. are a huge part of the information we use. When uploading videos online to social media or just storing them for the future, the average user will find the need to minimize the file size. Thus, you must know about the best Video Compression Software out there.
This is where file compression comes in. Compressing your video file will minimize the file size, which means it requires lesser data and time to upload and eats up smaller space on your storage.
This is done by changing various parameters of the video including audio and video bit rates, dimensions, etc. The following is a list of free video compress software that you can use to compress your videos.
|Name||Supported platforms||Ease of usage|
|Handbrake||Windows, Mac, Linux||Moderate|
|Wondershare Video Converter||Windows, Mac||Easy|
|Windows Movie Maker||Windows||Easy|
|WinX HD Video Converter||Windows, Mac||Difficult|
|Freemake Video Converter||Windows||Easy|
|Free Video Compressor||Windows, Mac||Easy|
|Avidemux||Windows, Mac, Linux||Moderate|
|MacX Video Converter Pro||Windows, Mac||Easy|
|Final Cut Pro||Windows, Mac||Difficult|
|Prism Video Converter||Windows, Mac||Moderate|
|Pavtube video converter||Windows, Mac||Moderate|
|AnyVideo Converter||Windows, Mac||Easy|
- 1 Top 14 Video Compression Software of 2019
- 1.1 Handbrake
- 1.2 Wondershare Video Converter
- 1.3 Windows Movie Maker
- 1.4 FormatFactory
- 1.5 WinX HD Video Converter
- 1.6 Freemake Video Converter
- 1.7 Free Video Compressor
- 1.8 Avidemux
- 1.9 MacX Video Converter Pro
- 1.10 Final Cut Pro
- 1.11 Prism Video Converter
- 1.12 Pavtube video converter
- 1.13 VideoProc
- 1.14 AnyVideo Converter
- 2 Final Words
Top 14 Video Compression Software of 2019
Here we have compiled the finest of software for video conversion as of 2019. Do check out all of them and let us know which is the best for you.
Handbrake is a popular, open source video compressing software. It is available on the Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. It is a simple and useful tool to compress your videos.
You can choose various parameters; there is a set of pre-defined parameters by the device. The different parameters include resolution and other ones too.
- Queuing tray for batch conversions.
- Live preview.
- iOS and Android device presets.
- Tinkering with settings requires time-intensive trial and error.
- Live preview only supports the first four minutes of video.
- Intimidating interface.
Wondershare Video Converter is not just a video editing software but also a powerful video compression software tool for video compression and conversion. It supports a list of file formats including MP4, MKV, MOV, VOB, FLV, AVI and more.
Wondershare Video Compression Software is claimed to be the fastest video converter available. It can compress MP4 files without any quality loss. The software is easy to use and is quite capable. However, to access specific features, one has to upgrade to Pro version by payment.
- This program converts your videos into different formats.
- It also has a wide variety of customization.
- Has a variety of export tools not found in many of the other products.
- It has relatively few optimisation profiles.
Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker is a top-rated video compression software. It is available in many older versions of Windows, and you can still get it online for download. The software is quite simple to learn and use.
A significant advantage of Windows Movie Maker is the fact that the quality of the compressed video file is not very shabby when compared to the original. This Video Compression Software is made possible by the program’s optimization of the process.
- Very Simple to Use.
- Free for Windows Users.
- You can easily export your videos.
- Very basic editing available.
FormatFactory is an open source Video Compression Software. This is an extremely easy to use software that can convert or compress any video format.
Video compression using Format Factory is quite simple as there are a lot of pre-set options based on quality, size, and device where the video is to be used. The more technically aware user can directly give the required technical specifications to get the required output.
- Updated and maintained regularly. The latest version, 22.214.171.124, was released in March, 2018.
- Supports a vast range of 62 languages.
- This software is completely free to download and use, even for commercial uses (as long modifications are not made to the program).
- Only available for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- There exist more powerful conversion tools in the market.
- User interface has the aesthetic of a program that was used 15 years ago.
WinX HD Video Converter
The WinX HD Video Converter is available for Windows and Mac. It supports compression and conversion of various file formats like HD MKV, M2TS, H.265/HEVC, AVCHD, MP4, FLV, WMV, MOV, etc.
The file compression process by Win X HD is quite efficient. It supports a substantial number of video codecs, about 370. The simple UI of this Video Compression Software also adds to the WinX HD Video Converter’s advantages.
Freemake Video Converter
Freemake Video Converter is another free mp4 Video Compression Software. It offers a range of desirable file formats including popularly used ones; DivX, WMV, AVI, MKV, ROM, etc.
The main advantage of this software is that it is easy to edit the files obtained after compression. The user interface of the program is simple too, to make it easier for even a novice user to make use of it.
However, to gain the full experience of the Gold version, one has to pay a fee. But for the regular user, the free version would suffice for most uses.
- Supports large range of input formats.
- Burns files directly to a disc.
- Can merges video files.
- Downloads and converts online videos.
- Imports subtitles.
- Works with Windows versions including 10, 8, 8.1, 7, and Vista.
- Configured to work with many mobile devices.
- Conversion isn’t speedy.
Free Video Compressor
The Free Video Compressor is a light video compression software. It also supports almost all standard file formats as well. It is a freeware that is available for personal and non-commercial use.
The user interface is exceptionally light and straightforward. This software also lets the user set the desired video size. The software will then change the parameters of the video file to match the desired output video size.
The set of adjustable parameters offered by the software is quite significant when because it is a freeware.
- Basic but detailed.
- One can set File Size targets.
- Tools can edit out segments or change a video frame’s width, height, and aspect ratio.
- One has to search for help. Clicking the program/developer’s link accesses an online page of instructions.
Avidemux is another Video Compression Software offering video editing and compression features. It can be used for a variety of actions including video cutting, editing, and video encoding tools. Automation using projects and job queues is possible in Avidemux as well.
It also provides a good number of supported file formats. It is available for Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems. Changing codec, frame and bit rate features can be easily accessed and executed on Avidemux.
- One can easily clip out video selections.
- It supports common output formats.
- The interface is clean and easy to understand.
- Steps involved in converting videos can be confusing.
MacX Video Converter Pro
MacX Video Converter Pro is another nifty video compression software. It is available for Mac, but a Windows version is available as well. The software is optimized to provide quick and high-quality video output.
It supports a vast number of file formats and adjustable parameters. Video editing and compression tools are employed together to make the process a lot more efficient in this application.
- A wide range of supported video and audio formats.
- Compatibility with smartphones.
- Wide range of video editing possibilities.
- Simple and easy interface.
- Quite expensive software for premium usage.
Final Cut Pro
Final Cut Pro is another Video Compression Software. However, it is available exclusively for Mac computer systems. It is comparatively easy to use, even for a new user and provides decent output quality.
This Software also has an array of professional tools to edit input videos. But the fact that it is Mac exclusive makes it unavailable for a large community of Windows users.
- Easy to use all the features.
- Very intuitive for a beginner.
- Quality DVD Authoring.
- Provides professional lighting correction.
- Professional color correction.
- Great sound editing.
- Creating custom DVD menus needs improving, although DVD production is declining.
- Uses up a lot of resources. This can be a problem if one works on a laptop.
Prism Video Converter
This compression software is one of the most comprehensive Video Compression Software that supports a large number of unique file formats such as AVI, mpg, VOB, asf, WMV etc.
It provides a high-speed conversion or compressing. A user can set compression or encoder rates. One can also set other aspects such as resolution frame rate, and the output file size is easy to shrink. Prism is one of the most comprehensive video converter that supports a large number of uncommon file formats such as AVI, mpg, VOB, asf, WMV ect.
- Prism is capable of converting and extracting data directly from files.
- The conversion is done very quickly.
- Some tools on the tool bar occupy a lot of space and are of no significant usage.
Pavtube video converter
Pavtube is a highly efficient video compression software. It can also be used for conversion of videos as it supports a large numbers of video formats both in HD and SD qualities. It comes with default settings for video size and quality which can be changed by the user according to the user’s satisfaction.
Pavetube supports batch activities in which you one can apply changes to a number of videos all together.
- It offers numerous features for manipulating images and videos.
- It supports all HD and SD formats even for audio.
- This software is compatible with nearly each and every device including smart phones.
- It automatically incorporates watermark into your files while using the free version.
VideoProc is one of the most powerful software that can help you to edit, crop and compress your videos very easily. It is ideal for compressing high quality videos and also can help with adding filters and split and merge features. It can process videos with 4K quality.
- It can help you with resizing and adding subtitles.
- You can also use this software as a video converter.
- No cons observed.
AnyVideo Converter is one of those software that gets your work done in very few clicks and with precision. It ensures that it provides quick compression results with support to a wide range of various video formats including MPG, MP4, AVI, M2TS, 3GP, FLV ect. The user is given the freedom of choosing amongst the free and paid version.
The paid version provides some advanced features, while the free version can get your basic, necessary work done. This software can also help you to extract audio from CD’s and videos.
- Provides high video quality.
- Quick results.
- Features for burning discs.
- Advanced features available only in paid version.
This list included 14 free Video Compression Software of 2019. These are all free to use and is quite efficient in the process. Compress MP4 video the next time you plan to upload it somewhere would be a good idea and these tools can help you with that, and more.
Hey everyone! I’m just a simple guy who absolutely loves tech. It’s my dream to make sure that all the updates in the tech world reach everyone is simple words. Hope you have a good time on my blog! 🙂