We all like to play retro games on our modern computers. The invention of the Retropie ROM pack made it happen for you. You might think, ‘why not use an emulator instead?’ You can, but an emulator follows the game’s instructions from a different server. On the other hand, ROMs are downloadable physical contents of the game that use your hard drive to store their files.
In a nutshell, ROMs are physical games, while Emulators run virtual games. So, with a ROM pack for Retropie, you will be able to download and play games from the 90s without any trouble. Consequently, if you want to transfer ROMs to Retropie through Network, there is a way to do that.
- 1 Retropie ROMs
- 2 What is a ROM?
- 3 Where to Find Retropie ROMS Download Packs?
- 4 How to Download a Retropie ROM Pack
- 5 Install games
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Conclusion
Retropie is not like any other ROM. You may use Retropie to run several emulators of other consoles to suit your nostalgic preferences! As a result, you have many options for selecting which games to play and which ROMsets to download.
Retropie ROMset, often known as Pack, is a collection of MAME ROMs that you may run on emulators. MAME ROMs are unique. Retropie ROMs are far more sophisticated than standard ROMsets for other consoles. As you may be aware, ROMs are simply mirrored versions of arcade games that you played on consoles. It’s also worth noting that you can play MAME ROMs on various emulators. The games in the MAME ROMs Pack for Retropie are from multiple systems and have been duplicated and saved as ROM files throughout time. The Retropie ROMset is identical to the MAME ROMset.
What is a ROM?
ROM is an abbreviation for Read-Only Memory. A ROM is a system file that holds old support data. In our situation, it’s usually a duplicate of an old gaming console’s cartridges that allows us to play the game using an emulator (RetroPie or other).
The video game industry is huge and well-protected in terms of intellectual property. So playing a licensed video game without first purchasing it is illegal and punishable by law. To avoid issues, choose free games wherever feasible. In any case, we cannot be held liable for your activities due to reading this content. This is entirely your fault.
Where to Find Retropie ROMS Download Packs?
Let us show you where you can find Retropie ROMs. In this part, you will see where to find ROMs and know the rules and disclaimer around them.
Free and Legal ROMs
If you don’t desire to take any risks, a well-known website lists free games that you can play on RetroPie. It’s known as MAMEDev. You will find classic games in video game history (breakage, parachutes, pong, etc.). Simply select a game and click Download to obtain the matching ROM.
When it comes to the ROM directory on the Internet, there are numerous places where you can discover almost any game from your childhood.
I’ve selected four websites that I recommend here:
Each of these websites houses thousands of ROMs.
I have one more source where you can find Retropie ROMs mentioned: Torrent. Torrent is a brilliant protocol that is incredibly convenient, but it is sadly well-known for the wrong reasons. And for video games, it couldn’t be worse, with a complete disregard for copyrights. So, while it is possible to find unusual ROMs on BitTorrent or elsewhere, I strongly advise you not to.
Preloaded SD Card
However, I believe that the easiest way to save time is to hunt for a preloaded SD card that already has Retropie and thousands of games installed. It has the best price/quality/quantity ratio and works with Raspberry Pi (even Pi 4).
How to Download a Retropie ROM Pack
Before downloading a Retropie ROM pack, ensure you have adequate hardware requirements to play those games. The requirements depend on what game you are planning to run.
Download Retropie ROM pack
Firstly, you need to download the Retropie game from its official site. There will be two versions, so choose one corresponding to your Raspberry Pi model.
I don’t recommend downloading the game from any other website. Even if you find websites having the same image and plug-ins, we have no assurance that we can trust downloading.
Flash Your SD Card
Once you have downloaded the images, continue with this process:
- To begin with, Place the SD card in your computer.
- If your computer does not have an SD card slot, you can use an inexpensive converter to plug it into a USB port.
- If necessary, download and install Etcher (a tool for flashing SD cards).
- Then, Begin Etcher
- Select the image file on the left.
- Select your SD card in the center.
- Then select “Flash!” to begin the SD card creation process.
- Your SD card will be ready in a few minutes.
Start the Raspberry Pi by inserting the SD card. There is virtually nothing to do. Simply wait for the boot routine to complete. All that remains is to configure the first controller.
- When RetroPie prompts you to connect your controller, do it.
- Hold the one key for a few seconds until RetroPie recognizes it.
- Then, using the wizard, set up all of the controller keys.
- If you have a basic controller that lacks all keys, hold down one key for a few seconds until the wizard moves on to the next one.
- When you’ve finished customizing all keys, press “OK,” and the main menu will appear.
You can now utilize the main menu to complete the basic configuration method outlined in the following paragraph.
I’ll show you everything you need to configure in this menu.
- Select the “Configuration” option from the main menu and enter (press A).
- It would be beneficial if you now have a full configuration menu like this:
You can navigate through all of the submenus to customize everything. But I only offer you the essentials to configure.
This menu is only for configuring Retropie’s audio output.
- Set the default sound output to anything you like. (HDMI should suffice for TV.)
- Choose jack 3.5 and plug-in speakers or earphones on a basic computer screen.
If you’re familiar with Raspbian, you’ll recognize this menu. You have to return to the keyboard on my installation to access this option. You can’t make a choice using my gaming controller.
Set your requirements in this menu:
Options for Localization:
- Begin by configuring the location, time zone, keyboard layout, and WiFi country if necessary.
- Setting the WiFi country is required before connecting.
Options for Network Connectivity:
- Useful if you need to create a custom network setup (WiFi or static IP)
- Nothing needs to be done for RJ45 using DHCP.
- Then select this one to bring the system up to date.
This menu will assist you in managing RetroPie components. At the very least, try to upgrade the system:
Retropie is Being Updated:
- In the first menu, select “Update.”
- Choose “Yes” to all of the questions asked below.
- This will bring your entire system up to date.
- Then select “Perform Reboot” to apply all of the changes.
- Return to this menu after the reboot.
Set up Retropie Management:
- Select “Manage Packages” from the Retropie Setup menu.
- After that, select “Manage experimental packages.”
- Locate “Retropie Manager” and download it from its official website.
Launch Retropie Manager:
- Select “Configuration/tools” from the Retropie Setup Menu.
- “Retropie Manager” should be selected.
- Then select “Start Retropie-Manager now” and “Enable RetroPie-Manager on boot.”
Later in this instruction, you will need to know your Raspberry PI IP address. Enter this menu and make a note of your current IP address.
Once you’ve downloaded a game to your computer, please send it to RetroPie. Check out about some trusted sites from where you can download Nintendo games.
RetroPie Manager is a web-based interface for controlling your RetroPie system.
- Firstly, You may get to it using your web browser by going to HTTP://RASPBERRYIP>:8080.
- If you didn’t write down your IP address, you might find it on the RetroPie configuration screen under the “Show your IP” menu.
- This interface contains a wealth of information about your machine.
- Finally, The monitoring screen displays the Raspberry Pi’s current status (memory, file system, and CPU)
Installing a New Game
Prepare the game files as follows:
- The majority of the time, you will download a compressed file.
- You must use your preferred software to extract it to another folder (for example, WinRAR or 7zip on Windows)
Upload the Following Files:
- Firstly, On the top menu, select “Roms.”
- Secondly, Choose the system that corresponds to the game.
- Drag and drag the extracted files into the appropriate frame.
- Finally, Wait a few seconds; games should now appear in the list below.
Playing Your New Game
It’s now time to have some fun!
The Additional Games May Not Appear Until You Reload the Main Menu:
- Start your controller, then select “Quit” from the pop-up menu.
- Finally, select “Restart Emulstation” and click “Yes.”
Your Main Menu Should Now be Different, and Your New Game Should Be on The List:
- Choose the game system you want to play (in my example, Nintendo), then the ROM to start (there may be numerous versions in the ROM archive, choose the one you prefer)
- Finally, you’re done.
Simply follow the guidelines in this section for each game you want to play. Finally, you have learned how to do Retropie game downloads.
Where do I get ROMs for RetroPie?
ROMs must be placed in the /RetroPie/ROMs/ folder. RetroPie will not start them unless you organize them by console/OS. SNES games, for example, would be placed in the /RetroPie/ROMs/SNES folder.
What ROMs can RetroPie play?
It can run SNES, NES, N64, Gameboy, DS, and Wii games. You can play several classics from the earliest Sony gaming consoles with the supported Playstation 1, Playstation 2, and PSP emulators. RetroPie even allows you to use your favorite current-generation controllers.
Are RetroPie ROMs legal?
RetroPie is a completely legal software platform for playing classic video games. RetroPie is simply a collection of emulators, which are entirely legal. However, malicious usage of RetroPie may violate copyright laws.
In conclusion, the steps above explain downloading a Retropie ROM pack. There are PSP ROMs on the internet, if you desire to check it out. Therefore, we hope you find this article useful. Thank you for reading. Enjoy downloading games from free Retropie ROMS.
Lead Photographer, Lead Advice Editor for @CNET in Europe. Love: the outdoors, music, food, snowboarding, animals, beer, coffee, lists. Personal views.