IP address or the Internet Protocol Address is a label given to each device on a network that uses the Internet protocol for communication. An IP address is a unique number assigned to a computer connected to a web. In this article, we will discuss how to find IP address on MAC using five simple methods. But before moving on, let’s learn what an IP address is.
- 1 What is an IP Address?
- 2 How to Find IP Address on MAC Using Quick Fix Methods
- 3 Conclusion
What is an IP Address?
It is a device’s location online. You may address an IP Address by the Internet Service Provider (ISP). IPv6, a newer version of IP, which is of 128 bits, nowadays. When a MAC connects to a network, it is assigned a 12-digit “label,” four sets of digits separated by a period.
What do you mean by, ‘Internal IP Adress in MAC’?
MAC has an internal IP address, which is to identify its address on the local network and an external IP for the internet connection. IP address help to identify and track you and your activities. Network administrators assign an IP address to the devices connected to a network.
The address they assign is static, which means it is permanent and cannot be changed/ modified. Each time a device connects to the network, it attaches itself to the IP address. An IP address mainly has two essential functions: host identification and address of the location. One can require it while setting up a network or file sharing.
How to Find IP Address on MAC Using Quick Fix Methods
Let’s learn the quick fix ways upon how to find IP address on MAC.
How to Find IP Address on MAC Using the Easiest Method
- Find the Macs IP from Mac System Preferences Network configuration screen
- From the Apple menu, pull down, scroll, and select “System Preferences.” You can choose it either by clicking the icon or clicking the apple toggle drop-down menu at the top left of the screen.
- Select “Network” preference pane, mostly on the third row. It is present on the internet & Wireless section.
- You must connect to the network either via wireless (AirPort) or wired (i.e., your ethernet). Below the status line, the IP address of your connection is present in smaller font. Note that the MAC address lists as “Physical Address.”
- This visible IP address can be written down or saved as a screenshot.
- You may use this method for OS X 10.5 and newer.
- For OS X 10.4, you can repeat the above first three steps to learn how to find ip address on MAC. Then click the TCP/IP tab. The IP address showcases in the settings windows.
How to Find IP Address on MAC Using Terminal
- You can use this method to know how to find the IP address on MAC [internal]. This method is appropriate for the ones who are familiar with the command line program called terminal. Even if you are unfamiliar with the terminal you can easily access the internal IP address location.
- You will spot Terminal under the Utility section of the Application folder. Open and select Utilities and then launch Terminal.
In the terminal, type the following command: ipconfig getifaddr en0 (to find your IP address if connected to a wireless network) or ipconfig getifaddr en1 (if connected to an Ethernet).
- For Mac OS X, the command ipconfig|grep inet displays detailed information about your computer signification in the network. This command is not applicable on macOS High Sierra.
- Ifconfig command will display many data regarding the system and connection, but the following command will remove most of the unwanted ones and display the internal IP address.
Ifconfig | grep “inet” | grep -v 184.108.40.206
-v 220.127.116.11; this will help in the removal of unnecessary command lines.
- Copy IP address, which is displayed right next to the “inet” entry.
- For Mac OS X, if connected via wi-fi, the easiest method is to hold down the “Option” key and select the wi-fi icon at the top of the screen. Next to IP address is your Mac’s IP address.
Learn How to Find IP Address on MAC Using Google
- You can learn about how to find IP address on MAC [external] via Google.
- It applies to every version of the Mac Operating System.
- Open Google and type ip or ip address in the search bar.
- The result displayed will be your external or public IP address.
Try to Find IP Address on MAC Using Command Line
- You can use a Mac command line.
- Launch Terminal under the Utilities folder and type: curl ifconfig.me or curl ipecho.net/plain; echo.
- These commands will display your IP address in Terminal.
Know How to Find IP Address on MAC Using Router Configuration Page
Routers can be accessed using a web interface.
- Enter the router’s IP address into the web browser. This will open the web interface where you can also adjust the settings.
- Check your router’s details.
- In the router status or WAN (wide area network) status, under the Internet port, you will find the IP address.
- It is the address of the router. Any connection through this router will have this address, which is dynamic.
Visit : Apple Support
Thus, these are simplest and quickest ways to learn how to find IP address on MAC. I hope that they may help you in finding the IP address. So find one, and use it as per your requirement.
Hey everyone! I’m just a simple guy who absolutely loves tech. It’s my dream to make sure that all the updates in the tech world reach everyone is simple words. Hope you have a good time on my blog! 🙂