If you see “error 651” message on your PC, there is no need for you to worry as this is a very common error faced by windows users. This error happens when you try to connect to the internet using PPPoE connections. Numerous reasons lead to this error, and you must know How to Fix Error 651 in Windows.
See also: Phone To TV Connect File – How To Guide
Following are some of the reasons causing error 651 in Windows:
- Rasppoe.sys file have been saved in the wrong location
- Registry error
- IP address conflict
Because of all the above reasons, the message reading “error 651- the modem or another connecting device has reported an error”. This message will be titled as “connection failed with error 651”.
Now that we have understood the error and the reasons causing the error, let us start looking into solutions to Fix Error 651 in Windows. Let me mention that there is no “official” method of fixing this error. However, many troubleshooting methods have been used by Windows users across the globe to fix the issue.
See Also: Best Programming apps
- 1 Reasons Why Error 651 May Occur In Windows
- 2 How To Fix Error 651 In Windows?
- 3 Tips To Help Prevent Error 651 From Occurring In The Future
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
Reasons Why Error 651 May Occur In Windows
Some of the reasons explaining why error 651 windows generally occur in our pc are:
- Corrupted or old drivers can cause error 651. The computer may be unable to connect to the Internet if the drivers are not working correctly.
- Incorrect network configuration settings, such as incorrect IP address or gateway settings, can also cause error 651. Ensure that the configuration of your network settings is correct and matches your network requirements.
- Faulty hardware, such as a malfunctioning modem or router, can cause connection failure error 651 issues. Ensure your hardware functions correctly by checking for any physical damage or malfunction.
- Issues with the system registry, such as missing or corrupted registry files, can also cause error 651. Use a registry cleaner or a tool like System File Checker to identify and repair any registry issues.
- Occasionally, Windows updates can cause issues with network connections, including error 651. If you suspect a recent update may have caused the problem, try uninstalling the update or rolling back to a previous system restore point.
How To Fix Error 651 In Windows?
Here are the different methods to fix Error 651 in windows.
Unplug The Router And Plug It In Again
The basic troubleshooting method to Fix Error 651 in Windows is reconnecting your connection. What is error 651 in broadband? If you use a router, switch it off and turn it on after a few seconds. This might sound really stupid and useless, but surprisingly, this simple solution fixes the error 90% of the time.
Reset TCP/IP On Your Computer
For resetting your network stack on windows, perform the following steps:
This will reset your networking stack. Restart the computer.
Learn more about How To Remove Write Protection On Micro SD Card
Recreate New Dial-Up
Sometimes, error 651 might occur because the network gets hung while trying to connect to the network. This problem can be solved by recreating a new dial-up and deleting the old one. To recreate new dial-up, follow these steps:
- Open network and sharing center.
- Click on change adapter settings.
- Right-click on the broadband connection.
- Click on create a copy.
- Delete the old connection and redial using the new connection.
Disable Auto Tuning Feature
Windows uses auto-tuning feature for continually monitoring the routing conditions. Routing conditions include conditions such as bandwidth, network delay, application delay, etc. This helps in maximizing the performance of the network. But sometimes, this might also lead to error 651. Disabling this feature will Fix Error 651 in Windows for your PC, especially if you use a router. To disable auto-tuning, follow these steps:
- Run command prompt ( Windows + R).
- Type the following- Netsh interface TCP set global autotuning=disabled; press enter.
- Restart the computer.
Disable IPv6 Of Your Internet Connection
IPv6 is the next-generation internet protocol. It was made to replace the earlier IP version, which is IPv5. Disabling IPv6 from the internet connection of your PC might help to Fix Error 651 in Windows. Follow these steps for disabling IPv6:
- Firstly, Go to the control panel.
- Select a network and the internet.
- Click on active internet connection.
- Select Properties.
- Switch to the networking tab.
- Finally, Untick IPv6 and click OK.
Reinstall The Network Adapter
Reinstalling the network adapter has fixed error 651 for many people. Once you restart your computer after uninstalling the network adapter, it re-installs the network adapter automatically. So all you really have to do is uninstall the network adapter and restart the PC. The installation process will be done by Windows on its own. To uninstall the network adapter, follow these steps:
- Firstly, Search for devmgmt.msc. In start.
- Secondly, Double click to launch the device manager.
- Thirdly, Look for the network adapters category.
- Click on the ‘+’ icon.
- Right-click on the first network adapter.
- Click Uninstall.
- Finally, Restart your computer after this process.Check it out: How To Add Google Drive To File Explorer Using 2 Methods | 2023
Tips To Help Prevent Error 651 From Occurring In The Future
Some tips to prevent error 651 from happening in the future again are:
- The reason for error 651 is old network adapter drivers. Check for updates regularly and install them if they are available to prevent this from happening.
- Poor-quality modems, routers, and cables can cause connection issues, including error 651. Invest in quality networking equipment to avoid these types of problems.
- Running too many apps in the background can cause network congestion and potentially lead to error 651. Disable any unnecessary services or applications you do not need to improve network performance.
- Malware and viruses can also cause connection error 651 issues. Install a reputable anti-virus program and perform regular scans to help prevent these types of problems.
- Keep an eye on your network connection and monitor it for any unusual activity. If you notice any issues or errors, troubleshoot and resolve them immediately to prevent them from becoming more significant.
What is error 651 in broadband, and why does it occur?
Windows encounter Error 651 when attempting to create a broadband connection due to a connection failure. This issue frequently results from a malfunctioning network adapter, out-of-date drivers, or wrong network configurations.
How can Windows error 651 be fixed?
Windows error 651 can be resolved by upgrading the network device drivers.To do this, open Device Manager, identify the network adapter, and then pick Update driver from the context menu. You can also conduct a system restore, restart your modem or router, or reset your network settings.
Why do I constantly get the Windows connection failure error 651?
You could be receiving a connection error 651 on Windows for many reasons. Network adapter problems, out-of-date drivers, improper network configurations, and modem or router troubles are a few of the leading causes.
What should I do if the error 651 Windows issue still exists after attempting every fix?
After attempting each fix, if the error 651 Windows issue still continues, you should contact your internet service provider (ISP) for more help. They can analyse the problem and offer a fix to your network setup. Alternatively, consider using expert computer repair services to identify and resolve the issue.
In conclusion, These were some common troubleshooting methods to Fix Error 651 in Windows. So, we hope these methods helped you to fix error 651 on your computer. Therefore, these are the most common troubleshooting methods used by thousands of people worldwide to fix error 651. Other errors might occur, as you might also need to solve error 924, etc. Even after trying all the above-mentioned methods, your internet connection is not fixed. Contact your internet provider and report the problem. Chances might be that the problem is from their side and not your computers. Windows 10 users have complained about an error message that says, “Vcruntime140.Dll is Missing”. You can easily fix it by reading this article.
See also: Top 7 Ways To Fix err_cache_miss On Your Device
Hey everyone! We are a group of Computer Engineers who have dedicated their lives to tech. It’s our dream to make sure that all the updates in the tech world reach everyone is simple words. Hope you have a good time on the blog! 🙂