In today’s world, sharing data has become necessary for everyone. We all must have transferred any sort of data from one device to another by now. Presently, there are various ways of sharing the data, including images, files, and folders. Services like Google Drive, Bluetooth or Google Files have made transferring data a lot easier. But they take a lot of time to transfer data. Moreover, not many services are available for transferring data from one computer to another. So, we have brought this blog on how to connect two computers using LAN cable for data transfer.
Transferring data via Bluetooth is the easiest option available. But it comes at the cost of your time. Moreover, the Bluetooth connection is quite fragile. So, what to do when we have to transfer a large amount of data in less time. The only option available is a LAN cable. Connecting two computers via LAN cable is a bit difficult. So, follow this blog carefully to know how to connect two computers using a LAN cable for data transfer. Here is a guide on Preparing your Computer For Disposal.
Before connecting the computers, first, let’s understand some basic things.
Table of Contents
What Is LAN?
The inception of LAN happened during the 1970s when the use of computers increased and required rapid interconnection.
LAN is mostly used in official places like universities or offices and even in homes to interconnect computers. It is one of the cheapest and most effective ways of connecting computers present in a small vicinity.
Moreover, transferring of data between 2 computers happens super fast with good quality LAN.
Advantages Of Transferring Data Via LAN Cable
The most significant advantage connecting via LAN cables provides over others is that data transfer is extremely fast.
If you want to transfer a lot of data, then LAN is the only option.
Yes, there are a lot of options like Bluetooth or USB drives. But all seem slow in front of LAN cables.
Now let’s see what resources we need to transfer data from one computer through LAN.
- Windows pc: 2
- LAN cable: 1
We need 2Windows pc for transferring data from one to another. And we need a LAN cable. A CTA 5 LAN cable will be fine for this task.
How To Connect Two Computers Using LAN Cable For Data Transfer
Now we see how to connect two computers using a LAN cable for data transfer. We name 2 computers as Computer 1 and Computer 2.
Connect Two Computers By LAN
Firstly we need to connect the 2 computers by LAN cable, i.e. Ethernet cable.
After that, we move to see their configurations.
Computer 1 Configuration
1. First of all, go to the Control Panner of the Computer 1.
2. Select Network and Sharing Center. Open it.
3. Now, after this, you will have to press “Change advanced sharing settings.”
4. Next, a completely new window will appear. Then you have to Expand here in “All Networks”.
5. Next, under “Public folder sharing”. Then select exactly the option as shown below.
6. Next, in the same way, go down to “Password protected sharing”. Next Selecting the option as shown below is required.
7. Simply click the button “Save changes”.
8. Now travel to the “Network and Sharing Center” window.
9. Next beside “Connections” on Ethernet Double Click.
10. Next, tap on the button “Properties”.
11. A window appears. Next, check the box beside “Network Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPV4)”.
Just click two times on it.
12. The “Internet Protocol Version4 (TCP/IPV4) Properties” window will appear.
13. Next, just select the” Use the following IP address:”. Now put the exact values beside IP address, Subnet mask: & Default Gateway: as shown below the image.
14. Then, in the position of “Prefered DNS server:” write 8 in each column as depicted in the image.
15. Next, tap on the button OK. Next Close.
Finally, in this way, the computer 1 configuration is complete.
In this way, computer 1 is configured. This is the first step of connecting via LAN cable.
Computer 2 Configuration
Now we make the following changes in Computer 2.
Simply follow steps 1 to 12 as shown in the Computer 1 configuration above. After that, do the following.
1. Next, just select the” Use the following IP address:”. Now put the exact values beside IP address, Subnet mask: & Default Gateway: as shown below the image.
2. Then, in the position of “Prefered DNS server:” write 8 in each column as depicted in the image.
3. Next, tap on the button OK. Next Close.
Now both your computers get connected to each other.
Check If The Two Computers Are Connected.
Now to check if the computer is connected, do the following.
1. First, go to “Network” from “This PC”.
You will see only one computer.
2. Click on “Refresh”.
Now, if you see two computers as in the above image, your computers are connected with each other. Learn how to connect iMac to television.
Now we see how we can share files via LAN from Computer 1 to System2.
1. Firstly, right-click on any folder which you want for sharing.
Then under the “share with” option select “Specific People”.
2. Now select “Everyone”.
4. Finally, press “Share”.
And hence in this way, all files are shared as intended.
Now you know how to transfer files from pc to pc using ethernet.
Here are the most asked questions regarding data transfer online.
Is It Possible To Connect Two Laptops Via USB Cable?
Yes, it is possible to connect two laptops via USB cable. But it is very important to remember not to connect 2 Type-A USB cables without an electric device in between.
How To Transfer Data Between Computers?
You can use Bluetooth or LAN cable for data transfer. But using a LAN cable is preferable.
How Much Does A LAN Cable Cost?
A good quality LAN cable costs about $10. Prefer buying a CTA 5 LAN cable which will be ideal for all purposes.
How To Share Files In Google Drive?
First, go to the Google drive website. Then drag the file or folder to the Google Drive you want to upload.
Does Google Files Work On Pc?
Google File is ideal for transferring data between 2 smartphones. There is no direct way of using Google Files for pc.
Is Google Drive Premium Worth It?
Google drive premium is useful if you have a lot of data to store. Google Drive premium offers 2TB storage at only $9.99 per year. And 100GB storage at only $1.99 per year.
Overall, we believe you now know how to connect two computers using LAN cable for data transfer. The process is a bit lengthy. But it is worth it. So, this will be a wrap on this blog. If you have trouble connecting computers via LAN, please write in the comments. We will be there to help you out. And to solve more such tech problems, follow Techyhost.
David Carnoy: TechyHost’s and CNET’s Executive Editor, leading member of the Reviews team since 2000. Covers gadgets, specializes in e-readers and e-publishing.