Suppose you have recently bought a Playstation or have recently started exploring the best MTU settings for PS4. If you have somehow come here to the concept of MTU and wondering what it is precisely, then you are at the right place or site. Don’t worry; we got you covered. Here, we will be discussing the best MTU settings for PS4.
To determine the optimal MTU setting, add 28 to the number of bytes in the IP/ICMP headers. For instance, if the largest packet size obtained from ping tests is 1462, adding 28 to 1462 would result in a total of 1490, which represents the recommended MTU setting.
Most gamers have absolutely no idea about MTU value. Still, they alter the value without understanding what it really or exactly means. It is necessary to know the best MTU settings for PS4. It is just like pressing the refresh button by right-clicking on a pc. You might think it can make your computer fast, but it isn’t the thing. After reading this article, one won’t need to make another search on Google about MTU settings for PS4. This article covers everything you need to know about MTU and the best MTU settings for PS4.
See Also: Top 7 Free Facebook Proxy Sites For You To Use
- 1 What is MTU4?
- 2 Best MTU Settings For PS4 To Sign In To PSN
- 3 Should You Change the MTU Value?
- 4 So Why is PS4 Having an Issue With 1500 Now?
- 5 What is The Ideal Value Of MTU?
- 6 How Can You Change The MTU Value in PS4?
- 7 FAQs
- 8 Conclusion
What is MTU4?
MTU stands for Maximum transmission unit, and it is the size of the largest and most significant protocol data unit that can be communicated. The bigger the number, means faster the speed. However, it can also lead to excessive heat. On another side, just a tiny number can lead to a delay in the rate.
That is why it is essential to come up with a good number. For ps4, the MTU default size is 1500. This means only 1500 bits of data can be communicated only at once. We know that 1500 bits are minimal data divided into packets. Then all the packets are combined to represent the data to us. You have seen some gamers change the MTU size to a meager value for a faster speed.
The funniest thing is that most gamers don’t know what MTU means. However, they would have seen others doing it, and that’s why they also altered this value. Lowering the value means smaller data packets, and you must be thinking it should have decreased the speed. It should, and it will definitely be if you set the best MTU settings for PS4 to lower. However, Sometimes data packets can’t travel for any facts, such as speed.
- MTU setting adjustment: In the PS4’s network settings, the MTU value can be manually modified. Although 1500 is the default MTU setting, you can experiment with different numbers to find which performs best for your network.
- Minimize network overhead and increase network speed by lowering the MTU setting: This might not always be noticeable because network performance relies on several variables, including your internet connection and network infrastructure.
- A more reliable and responsive network connection may result from lowering the MTU value, improving the online multiplayer gaming experience. This can make gaming more fluid overall and decrease lag.
- In particular network configurations or with specific internet service providers (ISPs), setting a lower MTU number may be required to establish a dependable connection or solve compatibility problems. Adjusting the MTU, you can select a configuration that works best with your specific network setup.
- Reduced network latency: You can minimize the size of data packets sent over the network by specifying a lower MTU number. Faster transmission speeds brought on by smaller packet sizes may reduce network latency and enhance responsiveness in online games.
- Choosing a lower MTU number could make some network environments or devices incompatible. Utilizing an MTU number incompatible with an ISP’s or network configuration’s needs or constraints may result in connection issues or restricted network capability.
- Getting the best MTU number for your network configuration sometimes takes trial and error. Although it can save time, not all users may see a noticeable boost in network performance.
- While reducing the MTU can sometimes enhance network speed, doing so too lowly may make packet loss more likely. As a result, data retransmission may hurt the gaming experience by generating delays.
See Also: How can I boost my PS4 signal?
Best MTU Settings For PS4 To Sign In To PSN
Let us look at some of the best MTU settings for PS4 that might help you fix your PSN issues, whether signed-in or download-related issues.
How To Modify MTU Settings?
This is the first one on the list of best MTU settings for PS4. If you cannot sign in to the PSN, you can modify your PS4 MTU profile to 1450 from the set value of 1500. But it would be helpful if you kept that solution in mind. Some people don’t seem to use it, but thousands of PS4 users claim that this solution worked for them, and the error NW-31194-8 has stopped and subsequently allowed them to sign back into PSN settings again. So, we would say it’s worth a try. Below are the steps to achieve this.
- Head to settings and set up a new network connection or edit an existing one.
- Change the settings from automatic to custom.
- Now set the MTU value to 1473 from the initial value of 1500.Please note that this is a temporary solution while Sony attempts to fix PSN.
This didn’t work for you? Don’t panic. We have got you covered!
Connect PS4 Via LAN To Increase Download Speed
This is another best MTU setting for PS4. If feasible, it is recommended that you connect your PS4 via LAN [wired connection] as this will improve your download speed compared to Wi-Fi. Before doing this, ensure that the download is paused and resume your download after connecting to LAN.
See also: Best IP Address For Ps4 | A Complete Guide 2023
Tweak your DNS and MTU settings on PS4.
- Navigate to Settings >Network> Set up an Internet connection
- Choose either Wi-Fi or Local Area Network (LAN cable)
- Choose Custom, then Select Automatic.
- Click on Do not Specify and Select Manual.
Note: You should make sure to have a copy of your default settings in case you want to divert back.
Make Changes To Your DNS Settings
Enter primary and secondary IP Addresses. Type in: Google – 188.8.131.52 for the Primary field. Type in 184.108.40.206 for the Secondary field. Select ‘Next‘ and select Manual to change your MTU settings. Type in 1473. If that’s not accepted, try 1450. Click on Next and select Do Not Use. A diagnostics test will begin. Select Next.
Now try downloading your selected file and see if that’s any faster!
See Also: 15 Best PS4 Games For Free Which You Must Try
Speeding Up Your PS4 With The Help Of A Proxy Server
This fix is one of the best MTU settings for PS4, and it revolves around setting up a proxy in your PC.
- To achieve that, type in “free proxy server” in Google search, and you will find plenty of proxy servers. We also recommend that you read all the reviews before you download one. Start up the proxy server and write down the IP and the port number found in the HTTP port list.
- Switch on your PS4 and head to settings and then network, and then set up an internet connection.
- Now choose custom setup and find where you are supposed to enter the IP and the port number and enter the data you obtained from your proxy server.
- See if this has fixed your issues.
We have personally tested out this method for primary PS4 game files, which are more than 20GB in size, and we can confirm the speed difference we obtained was phenomenal.
Perhaps Your Broadband Service Provider Isn’t Good Enough
Sometimes, your slow broadband speeds causing the files to take a lot of time to download from the PlayStation network, or your internet service provider is throttling your download bandwidth.
If you have had no luck so far, consider calling your provider and asking them about the download speed, and they might be able to assist you with your issue. The service provider might recommend upgrading your existing plan to increase your bandwidth. We recommend a minimum bandwidth of 100 Mbps.
Though it might not be the best MTU setting for PS4, you must give it a try!
Contact PlayStation Support
If your broadband service isn’t the snag and none of the above best MTU settings for PS4 seem to work out, then we suggest that you contact PlayStation support, and hopefully, they will come up with a solution for your problem.
PlayStation support recommends going through general forums regarding PlayStation 4 and related pages to find any helpful information. You can also head to the Playstation support contact guide.
The above link opens up to a search bar where you can check the issue or enter the error code displayed on your PlayStation to obtain the troubleshooting steps needed to resolve your issue. If you are still unsatisfied, you can find PlayStation support contact details at the end of the page.
Should You Change the MTU Value?
You should not change the value if you are not facing any problems.
However, if your game lags, you can try adjusting this value.
So Why is PS4 Having an Issue With 1500 Now?
There could be several causes for this; however, some think servers might take these packets as attacks and shut them down.
We hope the company will fix it very soon, but you should try to alter values until then.
What is The Ideal Value Of MTU?
You have seen some gamers always prefer 1473 or 1480. Let me tell you upfront that there is no outstanding value for MTU. It only depends on network speed, packet size, server, etc.
You can calculate the actual ideal value for your game only after the trial and error method. You can start with these values (1473,1480).
How Can You Change The MTU Value in PS4?
You should reset your internet connection to change the best MTU settings for PS4 value.
If you want to alter the value to get a hassle-free and lagging-free experience, here are the steps you need to follow.
1. Open the Network settings on your PS4 from settings.
2. Click on the options to set up an internet connection. It will ask for a LAN or WiFi connection. You need to select WiFi connection or Lan.
3. On the next screen, choose the custom option, Do not go with easy.
4. After this, it will ask you for the IP address settings. Make sure you choose the Automatic option displayed.
5. Next, it will ask for the DHCP Hostname. Make sure you choose. Do not specify as an option.
6. After the DNS settings, it will ask you for the MTU value. Do not choose the automatic option; go with the Manual option displayed.
7. It will show you an input field to type the MTU value. As I mentioned earlier, there is no perfect value; however, you can start with 1473 because that is quite popular among gamers.
8. After typing your value, click on the Next option.
9. After that, it will ask you for the proxy server. I have chosen the Do not use option.
Is there a recommended ps4 mtu settings?
No, there are no recommended ps4 mtu settings. The default MTU value of 1500 is suggested for most PS4 users. However, depending on your network configuration and internet service provider, you might receive better speed by changing the MTU level. Feel free to try lesser numbers, such as 1473 or 1492, to see if they offer any benefits.
What are the benefits of finding the best mtu for ps4?
Several ways determining the best mtu for ps4 could improve your gaming experience. You may decrease network latency, minimize packet loss, and increase the overall stability of your internet connections by optimizing the MTU value. This may lead to more responsive online gaming, quicker downloads, and fluid gameplay.
What is mtu settings ps4?
The maximum size of data packets that can be transferred via a network connection is indicated by the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) option on your PS4. This establishes the most data that can be transmitted in a single packet. If you modify the MTU setting on your PS4, you can enjoy downloading and playing online games more effectively.
What is the best mtu size for gaming?
Determining the best mtu size for gaming depends on various factors, including the network configuration and your internet service provider. Although most gamers can get by with the default MTU value of 1500, there are a few situations where changing it can result in a more incredible performance.
What are the default mtu settings for ps4?
The default value of mtu settings ps4 is 1500. The majority of networks use this as the default option because it works well for the vast majority of users.
In conclusion, gaming is one of the best and most entertaining sources. Lagging can seriously disturb the whole entertainment. I hope to change the best MTU settings for PS4, and the value will fix the error you face and allow you to enjoy the best gaming entertainment.
Finally, we hope you have the solution for the best MTU settings for PS5. We hope you have reached the point and information about the Maximum transmission unit settings for PS4. Now you can happily reset the settings per the instructions and enjoy your playtime without interruption and lag throughout your gaming session.
See Also: Best Cloud Gaming Services to Begin With in 2023
Lead Photographer, Lead Advice Editor for @CNET in Europe. Love: the outdoors, music, food, snowboarding, animals, beer, coffee, lists. Personal views.