The game you’ve been anticipating is finally out on PlayStation Network [PSN], but apparently, the game is taking forever to download. As per the reports coming in from reputable sources, PlayStation Network users worldwide face this situation. Some PS4 users still claim that the PSN server is down, but they might have found a solution that might work for some users. It appears that modifying and keeping the best MTU settings for PS4 is one possible method to fix PSN sign-in problems. Also, click here if you want to know about the best cloud gaming services to begin within 2021.
- 1 Best MTU Settings For PS4 To Sign In To PSN
- 2 Final Note
Best MTU Settings For PS4 To Sign In To PSN
Let us look at some of the best MTU settings for PS4 that might help you fix your PSN issues, whether signed in or download-related issues.
How To Modify MTU Settings?
This is first one in the list of best MTU settings for PS4. If you cannot sign in to the PSN, you can try modifying your PS4 MTU profile to 1450 from the set value of 1500. But it would be helpful if you kept that solution in mind. Some people don’t seem to use it, but thousands of PS4 users claim that this solution worked for them, and the error NW-31194-8 has stopped and subsequently allowed them to sign back into PSN settings again. So, we would say it’s worth a try. Below are the steps to achieve this.
- Head to settings
- Set up a new network connection or edit an existing one
- Change the settings from automatic to custom
- Now set the MTU value to 1450 from the initial value of 1500
Please note that this is a temporary solution while Sony is attempting to fix PSN.
This didn’t work for you? Don’t panic. We have got you covered!
Connect PS4 Via LAN To Increase Download Speed
This is another best MTU settings for PS4. If feasible, it is recommended that you connect your PS4 via LAN [wired connection] as this will improve your download speed compared to Wi-Fi. Before doing this, ensure that the download is paused and resume your download after connecting to LAN.
Tweak your DNS and MTU settings on PS4.
- Navigate to Settings >Network> Set up an Internet connection
- Choose either Wi-Fi or Local Area Network (LAN cable)
- Choose Custom
- Select Automatic
- Click on Do not Specify
- Select Manual
Note: You should make sure to have a copy of your default settings in case you want to divert back
Make Changes To Your DNS Settings
- Enter a primary and secondary IP Address
- Type in: Google – 18.104.22.168 for the Primary field
- Type in 22.214.171.124 for the Secondary field
- Select ‘Next’ and select Manual to change your MTU settings. Type in 1473. If that’s not accepted, try 1450.
- Click on Next and select Do Not Use. A diagnostics test will begin. Select Next.
Now try downloading your selected file and see if that’s any faster!
Speeding Up Your PS4 With The Help Of A Proxy Server
This fix is one of the best MTU settings for PS4 and it revolves around setting up a proxy in your PC.
- To achieve that, type in “free proxy server” in Google search, and you will find plenty of proxy servers. We also recommend that you read all the reviews before you download one.
- Startup the proxy server and write down the IP and the port number found in the HTTP port list.
- Switch on your PS4 and head to settings and then network and then set up an internet connection.
- Now choose custom setup and find where you are supposed to enter the IP and the port number and enter the data you obtained from your proxy server.
- See if this has fixed your issues.
We have personally tested out this method for primary PS4 game files, which is more than 20GB in size, and we can confirm the speed difference that we obtained was phenomenal.
Perhaps Your Broadband Service Provider Isn’t Good Enough
At times, it could be your slow broadband speeds causing the files to take a lot of time to download from the PlayStation network, or maybe your internet service provider is throttling your download bandwidth.
If you have no luck so far, consider calling your provider and ask them about the download speed, and they might be able to assist you with your issue.
Maybe the service provider might recommend you upgrade your existing plan to increase your bandwidths. We recommend a minimum bandwidth of 100 Mbps.
Though it might not be the best MTU settings for PS4, you must give it a try!
Contact PlayStation Support
If your broadband service isn’t the snag and none of the above best MTU settings for PS4 seem to work out, then we suggest that you get in touch with PlayStation support, and hopefully, they will come up with a solution for your problem.
The PlayStation support does recommend that you go through general forums regarding PlayStation 4 and related pages to find any helpful information. You can also head to Playstation support contact guide
The above link opens up to a search bar where you can check the issue or enter the error code displayed on your PlayStation to obtain troubleshooting steps needed to resolve the issue you are facing. If still not satisfied, you can find contact details of PlayStation support at the very end of the page.
So, this was all about the best MTU settings for PS4 that’ll help you in signing into PSN. Let us know if any of the methods mentioned above assist you with troubleshooting. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions to share with us? We would love to hear back from you.
See also: How to Uninstall Games On Steam Easily
I have been into tech ever since I was a kid. Writing about Android, iOS and software is something that keeps me sane. I hope to keep contributing fresh tech content for our dedicated readers for the longest time.